Welcome Wednesday – Weekend Recap

Somehow it’s already Wednesday.
Wow – what a week and weekend we’ve had over here.  As of today we’re on day nine of snow days.  My brain is a little fried at the moment, but I’ll try my best on recapping our life happenings from the last week or so.
I’ll take it back to two Mondays ago…
On Monday, February 4th, Eliza’s school hosted a McTeacher’s night at McDonald’s.  The kids were absolutely thrilled to have McDonald’s for dinner.  We went right after school in order to avoid the crowds and to ensure we’d make it to Henry’s Little Ninja’s class later in the evening…
Teachers had decorated McDonald’s with artwork from Eliza’s school.  Girlfriend was excited to show us her pretty picture she had made…

Later in the week I had printed off some bunny artwork (from Crown Prints) for the nursery.  I had found these two 20×30 frames from the grocery store.  They were on sale for $13.00 each!  Oh my goodness – I was so happy to find such a great deal for such large frames!

Eliza celebrated her 100th day of school.  I soooo wish she could have dressed up with gray hair and a cardigan.  If memory serves me right, I think she’ll get to do so next year!

On Friday Jon and I entered phase two of our painting adventures – the living room.  I got the kids off to schools, ran some errands and then Jon and I painted our little hearts out.  I worked on the bottom half of the room and Jon worked on the top half.

We finished up by around 1 and then we got ourselves around to go see The Phantom of the Opera at my Alma Mater – Western Michigan University.
But first a bump picture!!!
Here I am at 34 weeks!

Jon’s parents arrived and had mentioned that the roads weren’t great.  I had heard earlier in the day that the roads were going to get pretty nasty.
Jon and I questioned whether or not we should attend the show.
I picked up the kids, came home and we decided to go since Grandma and Grandpa had driven almost two and a half hours to our house.
Our trip to the theatre took us two hours – it’s usually only about an hour trip.  The roads were absolutely awful.  We tried our best to stay off the expressway, actually we didn’t have much of a choice as the expressways were shut down in almost every direction due to accidents.
We made it to our first destination, a Chinese restaurant Jon and I used to frequent waaaay back before I was old enough to drink the Sake!  

Jon pouring my tea!

We had to stuff our faces…and FAST!
Since it had taken us two hours to get to my old college town, we only had about thirty minutes to order our food and eat it.  In the nicest of ways we mentioned to our server that we had a show to catch at 7:30.  She was awesome and made it all happen.
Like I said, we stuffed our faces as fast as possible and then hightailed it to the theatre.  Once inside the theatre lobby we were told the doors would be closing in thirty seconds and wouldn’t open again for twelve minutes!  We ran – and I mean RAN to the other side of the lobby to get to our seats.
Phew!  We made it JUST in time!  It was crazy!

Also, sidenote, during intermission we were interviewed about the show by the University’s school newspaper peeps.  They asked me a bunch of questions and I gave the most terrible responses.  It was one of those moments when I couldn’t remember what I had just said after I had just said it…I was a mess!!!  Soooooooooo embarrassing…
The show was AMAZING!!!  I hadn’t seen Phantom since my parents took me and my sister to the Pantages Theatre in Toronto twenty years ago!
Jon compares every show to Wicked.  He and I have seen Wicked three times together – it could be four – I honestly can’t remember.  LOL!  One of those times includes seeing it on Broadway in NYC.  That’s a hard one to compare anything to, you know.
Luckily Jon loved it.  His official review, “Way better than The Lion King and almost as good as Wicked.”  Bahahaha!!!

He also gave it two thumbs up!

We were certain we’d be driving home after the show, but once out on the roads we realized it probably wasn’t the best idea to attempt the drive.  Looooooong story short, we decided to get a room at a hotel for the night.  Fortunately I take my contacts case and glasses with me whenever we leave for longer road trips.  Jon went into a gas station and purchased some toothbrushes and toothpaste.
Both of us were pretty irritable from the long day and we just wanted to be home.  I set my alarm on my phone to ensure we’d be up nice and early the next day.
After the worst sleep EVER, the alarm went off (thank goodness) and we left the hotel room as quickly as possible.
The roads seemed better, but at about our half-way point Jon completely lost control of the car.  We had hit some ice and the car started to shake back and forth for what seemed like minutes, but it was actually only a few seconds.  You guys, it was really scary.  We immediately got off the expressway and took the backroads for the rest of the way home.
For as cranky we both were the night before, that little moment justified staying at a hotel for the night.
Once safely home, my FIL told us to look at our eggs.  Jon had planned on making his parents eggs benedict for breakfast and since that didn’t happen, my FIL took matters into his own hands and made “Benny and Dick eggs.”  Bahahaha!

I kissed the kids good morning.
I took one look at Eliza and knew something was wrong.  I grabbed a thermometer and took her temp.  Yup, she had a slight fever.  My in-laws had mentioned that she seemed really sleepy the night before – I’m guessing something icky had set in on Friday night.  I gave her some Tylenol and before I knew it she had fallen asleep.
She woke up feeling a bit better and her fever seemed to be down.  I had figured it had been 24 hours since her fever had started so we started to get ready for her first Daddy/Daughter Dance.  She still didn’t seem herself, so we just took it one step at a time.  She really wanted to go to dinner with Jon and to her first dance, but Jon and I had decided that if at any point she wanted to leave to just do so…

My heart.  Oh, my heart………………….

Henry was pumped about Eliza going to the Daddy/Daughter Dance.  I’m not entirely sure what he’s doing here…I think showing off her face?  LOL!  So funny!

Mama wanted in on the pictures, so I hopped in there, too!
Not my best hair day.  Whatevs.

Henry and I headed out for a date of our own.  He was incredibly silly the entire night.  We went to look for new shoes and a new University of Michigan shirt for his upcoming Mommy/Son Night – no dice.  Henry did, however, find a new Nerf Gun he liked…  Oh boy…

We went out to eat at our favorite sandwich shop, Jimmy John’s.
Henry talked and talked and talked and talked…and then wouldn’t stop singing a song about me not having a “driving license.”  For the record, I do in fact have a legal “driving” license.  I didn’t know who this kid was and/or where he had came from!  Henry’s usually a pretty quiet and serious kid.  I honestly didn’t know what to do with all of his noise.  LOL!

Seriously.  He was all sorts of crazy…I kind of loved it, though…  🙂

My face after the “driving license” song had repeated itself for the 1,368,851,571th time.

We ended our little date with fro-yo…and more singing………………………..

Jon had texted me and told me that he and Eliza were home.  They went to the dance, took a picture and danced to a few songs and left.  Eliza had been asking for a bath, so Jon obliged and I’m so happy he did.  Girlfriend still wasn’t looking or feeling herself – from here on out, Eliza had a fever that was on and off until Tuesday night.  I ended up taking her to see the Doctor.  She’s currently on antibiotics to help fight off whatever is in her itty bitty system.

Jon and I took on painting our hallway on Sunday.  It involved painting around the carpeted steps going down to the basement and the tall ceilings that are almost impossible to paint in the corner of the hallway next to our bedroom – it was tough – but we got it done!  Phew!
I was one tired Mama!
I also finished up the peel and stick wallpaper wall in the nursery.  I still have a bit to trim, but so far it’s looking great!  I’ll keep you posted on this space!  There’s still soooo much to do!

There you have it.  I’ll stop there, I’ll share more from this week in a post sometime next week.  I think I missed a few things from two weekends ago, but for the most part I feel all caught up.  I’m off to be as productive as possible on this ninth snow day…wish me luck.  Feel free to send wine…I can’t drink it now, but I’ll save it for 31 days from now!  😉 😉 😉
Marie 🙂
I’m linking up with Lindsay for Welcome Wednesday!

Similar Posts


  1. This is the sweetest post ever! Your children are adorable and I can;t get over the deal you got on that bunny picture! Wow! I love to paint – I redo my condo at least every three years – it makes everything clean and fresh!! I am now following you from Welcome Wednesday – you can follow back if you wish at Annster's Domain

  2. I cannot even deal with that picture of Jon looking at Eliza for the Daddy Daughter Dance. Oh my WORD, so sweet. And the house looks fantastic with that new paint. And the wallpaper in the baby's room… GORGEOUS!! You sure do know how to decorate a house, friend!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *